Mixed-media paper crafter; stamper, freelance craft tutor, designer of PaperArtsy JOFY stamps

21 October 2015

Masterboard = Cards

I really enjoy using the 3x5in Gelli® plate - especially to make 'masterboards' such as the one I created here - there are lots of tutorials out on the web so go take a look at how to make one.  (Anneke de Clerck did a lovely vibrant project HERE on the PaperArtsy blog).

One of the best tips I've read/seen is to put the 3x5in Gelli® plate onto an acrylic block - it makes it easy to pick the plate up and take it to the journal/paper rather than bring the journal/paper to the plate (if you see what I mean)... much easier to get 'accurate' print placement.

This is the masterboard I made - I know Gelli printing is a process (building layers etc) but at this point I was not overly happy with it (did I carry on or stop and start afresh) - I knew as soon as I put the yellow on that it was wrong (I'm still not feeling/loving yellow!)... but I persevered.. sort of... 
I reached for the bubble wrap - large bubble version - brayered it with pale yellow/cream and printed all over the page.. here's the result:
(bubble wrap fixes everything!) The bubble wrap print has knocked back/obscures the original pattern and the yellow..but I still wasn't happy so, not to be beaten, I cut it up - thinking it might look better that way - in smaller pieces - it would break up the blocks of yellow even more and highlight the good bits of the masterboard...(accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative!!).. once it was cut into pieces - I loved it!!  All these interesting little panels...

 Here are the cards I made with them:

I love how they look like a group, but are all individual - that's whats interesting about masterboards.

Die cut flower, stamped scallop border (JOFY13), and drawn lines around the masterboard panel to frame. (the flower die cut is the one I used on the masterboard to create a resist - its the white flower on pink rectangle you can see on the left hand side of the sheet - perfect colour match!)
 Panel has been stitched on a Kraft card, yellow bakers twine wrapped around and a swing tag tied on (JOFY34), the sentiment is from JOFY14.
I really like these 10x15cm cards that open on the short edge rather than the usual long edge (hinge here is on the left hand side by the twine), the twigs are a die cut (memory box), and the panel has been sewn on to the card


I like the simplicity of this card, even with the coloured patterned panel it is still quite 'less is more'/ 'clean & simple'. (Flower stem is from JOFY38)

and then 'less is more' went out of the window!  Bring on the glitter!!  This card has been splashed with water and gold embossing powder... distressed & glitzy! love it!

Gelli prints, stamps, stenclils & masterboards - a whole lot of fun!

x



(Gelli® used with permission. Owned by Gelli Arts® LLC)
Share:

8 comments

  1. Ha Ha! I'm glad to see the glitter won through in the end Jo. A little bit of sparkle is good for the soul :o)

    I treated myself to the round gelli plate at Ally Pally this year and I've been itching to play with it so thanks for sharing your tips and ideas. Your cards turned out so beautifully. I like the fact that each one has it's own identity in spite of the fact you made them all from the same masterboard.

    What is it about yellow? I can't get on with it either. I don't mind mellow, earthy shades like gold and ochre but I can't be doing with all those zingy citrus shades - bleugh! Great, then, to see how a bit of clever stamping tones that yellow right down and it blends seamlessly into the other colours.

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome set of cards Jo, beautiful master board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cards - I love to use masterboards for multiple card making, but yours are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jo just love the colours and the prints look fabulous. Together a fabulous set of cards x

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the finished cards - stamping one large flower over the masterboard looks so effective.

    I have the problem with using yellow (and bright oranges) love the colour in nature but using it is a different matter.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cards look great, even with the yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry I missed these at the time, Jo, because the masterboards are gorgeous & the finished cards absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to say; I LOVE the yellow! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig